The idea is to develop a DNS for PLCs (Programmable Logic Controller) to access parameters such as humidity, temperature, pressure, power, and more. Currently accessing these parameters (also in the LHC) is a mess! Thus we want to make it simpler by having a server that will ask for i.e., temperature in the room and the server answers.
It's as simple as clicking and it gives you all the details you want with fancy graphs and cool data visualizations.
We are already two people (one with an interesting mix of Computing, Physics and Mathematics and the other a Computer Engineer) and we would need one or two more people depending on the skills you bring. Ideally a backend or frontend coder with python knowledge in the areas described below:
Backend skills (python, django, database, sql, linux)
Frontend skills (django, html/css)
Network skills (tcp, firewall)
Build the prototype for the DNS that can be optionally used in the LHC (how cool is that). Please note that we will work on a Raspberry Pi instead of a PLC but the work can be migrated after if needed. We will summarize the prototype characgteristics below:
* Create a DNS server able to ask raspberry pi for parameters as temperature, humidity, ...
* Create a client that will run on the raspberry Pi
* Create a webpage to print data with graphs(beautiful fancy thing)
* Create a database to store informations about devices (location, type of device, type of sensor)
* Create a map to localize the device (optionally)
* Have a good weekend exploring the world of python
Using network with python: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/python_networking.htm
Python documentation: https://docs.python.org/3.0/library/socket.html
and you are welcome to google more about DNS and python and raspberry pi.